Sunday, November 6, 2016

ERRATUM 2 . . . where did my brain go

When I started building the circuit today I realized when testing the switches that . . . If the switch bat is pointing N, the switch connection is going S . . . . . so while the connections work as intended the switch bat positions were . . . switched.

So here is the right way of soldering things together . . . . .

Unless you have the same kind as OCD as I have you may want to take this is stages though . . . . first do one DPDT set, then the other, then the phase and maybe the rotary switch and then work down the chain doing the volume and tone controls . . . .


So here we are ready to start . . . just after I figured out the problem outlined above so there is a hand draw 'thingy' somewhere around showing how to wire up the the DPDT switches . . . you can see one set on the scrap of plywood next to the other set on the soldering pick guard . . . the multimeter is an absolutely essential piece of equipment . . . (although a led with a battery and 2 leads would do as well) . . . to test electrical continuity . . . or . . . discontinuity . . . . . . .  remember it's just as important NOT to have electrical connections as it is to have them . . . otherwise why would we need switches . . . ALWAYS check the disconnects as well as the connects.


And here are the connections on the first set .. .. .. not my neatest job of soldering ever but I can blame part of that on the old tip . . . I NEED a new tip, the yellow wire going off to the left will eventually become the neck hot . . . . 


And both sets on the pick guard with the phase switch in progress . . . 


And work on the rotary switch . . . always see if you can minimize the distance of the interconnects . . . here the 5 pins that need to go hot at one point or another are ALL next to one another . . . makes things that much easier . . . unfortunately the interconnect for the series switching and the grounds are not so conveniently located . . . 


And here it is all wired up . . . well back to the volume control anyway . . . what a rats nest . . . and the multimeter so far tells me that things connect and disconnect as I would expect . . . which means that either my expectations are probably wrong or there is some connection I haven't tested that doesn't do the expected thing . . . . 


OK I couldn't resist so even after 4 hours soldering I HAD to wire up at least one pickup . . . haven't tested it yet so we'll have to see if it's all correct but it looks pretty impressive . . . . . . . . . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment