Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The jack . . . . . .

So with the neck 'finished' it's the body's turn . . . .

First 'issue': the jack plate.

From the specs on the Gotoh site I believed - we all know about that, right - that the jack plate I ordered was flat . . .

Uhm . . . that doesn't look flat to me . . . and . . .  that's of course not quite the curve of the body at the jack hole AND there is also this
It doesn't show well in ANY of the photographs I've taken - and I did try - but, it's just a BIT wider than the flat area between the body roundovers . . . can someone please tell me the technical term, I should know but the brain . . . not surprising as it's probably meant for a Tele which has the same body thickness but doesn't have the roundovers . . . 
I knew about the width, so why not use a smaller plate, well there is this 7/8" hole that needs to be covered and the next smaller size plate was 15/16" wide, I wasn't going to trust manufacturing tolerances quite THAT much (also it was football shaped which I don't particularly like). Oh and why not bend the plate to conform to the curve . . . 1. I'm going to need to work on this anyway & 2. well it's not your budget plate, this thing is ~2 mm thick and SOLID . . . I don't want to ruin it . . . not sure how I would do that in the first place as I don't have a mold to bend it against, and then of course there is the finish . . . I'm not sure how it's done and there is a chance that it could 'flake off' . . . again I'm sure there is a technical term . . . when bending. 
SO

the 'solution' has already been started . . . and is visible below the plate . . . yep sanding . . . 

Wrap the plate ... carefully so you don't scratch it on the sandpaper (220 grit here) . . . I promise it's in there . . . somewhere . . . and rub over the jack hole area until the area is wide enough and the curve conforms to the plate . . . If I was really ambitious I would then recess it . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment