Friday, April 26, 2019

FINISHED

NO not that kind of finished . . . . . . . . . . . . . there is still plenty of work to come before THAT


So here she is after a couple of coats of red stain and some natural danish oil . . . . . . . . . the figured Maple strip on the front came out quite nice and the Cherry is beautiful - however - the regular maple on the back didn't take well to the stain (see the previous post) . . . it looks a bit of a mess so I may sand that out, it probably didn't penetrate very far, and just recoat with Danish oil . . . Then again, you rarely see that side anyway so I'm not sure if I'll put in the time.

I'll have to take the bridge off one more time as I . . . . DARN . . . . forgot to put the ground wire in.

And making some blanks for - temporary - pickup rings. I decided to make them from black/white/black pick guard material first to speed the process, it's a lot easier to work with than the brass they will eventually be (see the piece used for sizing the blanks). The material was cut with a fine tooth 'japanese' saw. I figured that if it cut wood it would cut the pick guard, and it did just fine.


Marking up the blank for the cutout, rough cut with a Dremel plastic cutoff blade and file and almost finished with sandpaper . . .




And the final product . . . the calipers say that the dimensions are within 0.3 mm of were they should be. Not exact but better than I have ever done so far, we'll have to see if this is a fluke or a reproducible result when with start cutting into the brass blanks.

Now I just have to mark up an outline and cut that and it can be put of the guitar . . . just a rectangular slab is a bit boring so I'll put another few hours into it so it'll be something I can live with until I get the brass ones done . . . which will likely be a bit as I won't have a lot of time to work on those once the puzzle pieces for the new shed arrive . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment